5 Ways You Can Prevent Breast Cancer
At Standard Drawers we believe leading a simplified lifestyle allows us to focus on what’s truly important. Our blog TOP DRAWER connects readers with valuable information for better quality of life.
Today we pause to think about Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Be sure to take some time this month to protect your health by implementing some of these simple practices for breast cancer prevention. Here are a 5 simple things you can do to care for your breasts today.
1. Self Exam: October is almost over; have you given yourself an exam yet? It's recommended that you do an exam once a month. Don't forget to carefully examine all of your breast tissue - including under your armpit where lots of lymph nodes are located.
2. Get a Brazilian: We're not talking waxing! We're talking nuts. A couple of Brazil nuts will provide all of the selenium you need for the day, and studies show that selenium in Brazil nuts may help prevent breast cancer by blocking free radicals. Activate your nuts by soaking overnight so they're easier to absorb and digest. A little goes a long way!
3. Hey Sunshine: Higher blood levels of vitamin D are associated with a lower risk of breast cancer. With winter approaching, catch the sun while you can and take supplements on those dark days.
4. Just One: Alcohol may raise your level of oestrogen, an important player in the development of breast cancer. It may interact with carcinogens or inhibit the body's capacity to detoxify them. So limit yourself to one drink per day and find your signature mocktail such as ginger ale, fresh lime and a sprig of mint.
5. Go Wireless: When you take off your underwire bra and see those indentions around your breasts it's a clear indication that you're cutting off lymphatic flow and circulation. Underwire bras inhibit proper lymph drainage which in turn hinders the body's ability to properly get rid of toxins. Switch to wire-free undergarments - like our soft bras and teddies - for health benefits and greater comfort.